Pages

9/2/11

Hi Honey, I'm Home!

Before Jack and I had kids we decided that I would be a stay at home mom if we could make it work financially. When Jack took his current job here at Asbury I was super excited that he would be making enough for me to be able to do just that. It has been such a blessing to be able to be with my girls, watching them grow and learn. We have a smaller house than many families I know, can't go on distant vacations, and sometimes things are a little tight, but none of that matters to me in the least! Family is most important and I am so thankful I get to raise my girls at home :)

We have been watch the classic tv show "Dennis the Menace" on netflix this past week and it got me thinking about how much things have changed  for the average family since then. In this show you see the Mom at home (pretty much always in the kitchen) taking care of the kids and everything around the house, while Dad goes to work to support his family. They sit down for all their meals together at the kitchen table (and not in front of a TV), and Dennis runs around the neighborhood playing with his friends with a slingshot in his pocket :). And all the neighbors know each other and watch out for one another. Oh how times have changed in the last 50 years.

Sometimes I feel like one of those mom's - when I am standing at the stove cooking supper and Jack walks in the front door from a day at work. It's like the "Hi honey, I'm home" scene in all the classics. But you'll never find me cooking in a dress, I always use my dishwasher, we eat in front of the tv far more than I'd like, and Kirsten never says "Jeepers Mom!"

My life as a stay at home mom is not always glorious, there are days like yesterday when the girls are crabby, the house is a mess, and Jack is working late that I just want to crawl under the covers and sleep for like 15 hours. But thankfully those days pass, and the next day is always better! We had a great day today :)


No comments:

Post a Comment