Pages

6/10/11

New Recipe and Car Chaos

I tried out a new recipe this week that we really enjoyed so I thought I would share it here. I followed this recipe http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/black-bean-salad-recipe/index.html but made a few changes to use what I had on hand. I also scaled down the recipe so we would have a ton leftover since it was just the two of us eating it. Here's what I did.

Black Bean Salad

1 can black beans (drained, rinsed)
8 ounces frozen corn (thawed by rinsing under water for a few seconds)
1 tomato (seeded, chopped)
1/8 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup diced pineapple (I used canned but fresh would be even better)
1/2 Tb cilantro leaves
1 Jalepeno (seeded, minced)
2 Tb Balsalmic vinegar
1.5 Tb Honey
Squeeze of lime juice
salt
pepper
pinch of cumin

* Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate for 1 hour.


I served this alongside grilled salmon fillets brushed with olive oil and seasoned with Creole seasoning. We loved it!


If you have never tried this stuff you should! We use it on everything: chicken, fish, mashed potatoes, mac n cheese, vegetables. It gives everything a little extra kick!


So tonight Jack had to go watch some basketball games for recruiting. I wanted to get out of the house so I decided to take the girls to Target to go shopping. Maybe not the best decision on my part as this is the chaos that ensued on the way home.

Immediatly after getting in the car....

Kara: waa! waa!
Me: It's okay Kara we'll be home soon. (then I turn on some of Kirsten's kiddie songs)
Kirsten: Mom? Did you turn the music on for me or Kara?
Me: It's for both of you honey.
Kara: Waaa!! Waa!
Kirsten: Mommy...I really need to pee!!!
Me: You're going to have to hold it honey, we'll be home soon.
Kara: WAAA!!!
Kirsten: I ca't hold it mom, I really need to GO!!!!!
Me: you can do it Kirsten, just listen to your music.
Kara: WAAAAA!!!! WAAAA!!!
Kirsten: I can't because Kara's crying!
Me: (i turn the music off)
Kirsten: I wanna listen to MY MUSIC!
Me: You said you couldn't hear it.
Kara: WAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kirsten: I really really need to PEEEE!!!!!!!!!
Me: We're almost home honey...you can hold it, just think about something else.
Kara: Waaa!! WAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
Kirsten: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star....
Kara: WAAAAA!
Kirsten: Kara, stop crying I am trying to sing!

By this point I have zoned them both out and am dreaming about bedtime! Why I ever thought leaving the house was a good idea, I will never know.

1 comment:

  1. times like that, this Mama goes to Starbucks! and that recipe sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete